This recipe is a new version of green bean casserole. It uses fresh green beans that are topped with delicious caramelized onions, Parmesan cheese, and grape tomatoes.
Original recipe makes 6 servings
1 1/2 pounds fresh green beans, trimmed
4 cups sliced onions
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, or more if needed
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 teaspoons white sugar
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, or to taste
halved grape tomatoes
1 hr 20 mins
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil; cook green beans at a boil until tender yet firm to the bite, 5 to 10 minutes; drain and transfer to a 9×13-inch dish.
- Cook and stir onions, vinegar, garlic, sugar, basil, and oregano in a skillet over medium heat until onions are softened and translucent, about 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking and stirring until onions are very tender and dark brown, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Spread onion mixture over green beans and top with Parmesan cheese. Arrange tomatoes, cut sides down, atop Parmesan cheese layer.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese is melted and bubbling, about 35 minutes.
Calories: 97 kcal
Carbohydrates: 19.5 g
Cholesterol: 2 mg
Fat: 1.3 g
Fiber: 5.7 g
Protein: 4.6 g
Sodium: 70 mg