This recipe has been in our family for years, and it is our favorite. It is delicious and addicting. Get ready to go on a diet after the holidays!
Original recipe makes 3 1/2 pounds
2 (11.5 ounce) packages milk chocolate chips, divided
2 cups butter
1 pound brown sugar
1 cup blanched slivered almonds, divided
2 hrs 30 mins
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees F (95 degrees C). Grease a 14 x 18 inch cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle one package of chocolate chips on prepared pan. Place in warm oven until chips melt, about 5 minutes. Remove from oven, and spread melted chocolate over bottom of pan; set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, combine butter and brown sugar. Stirring constantly, heat to 300 to 310 degrees F (149 to 154 degrees C), or until a small amount of syrup dropped into cold water forms hard, brittle threads. Immediately remove from heat. Stir in 3/4 cup slivered almonds and pour onto pan with melted chocolate; spread mixture evenly.
- Sprinkle remaining package of chocolate chips over the almond layer. The heat from the almond layer will melt the chocolate chips; spread melted chocolate evenly. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup almonds over chocolate.
- Cut into squares, or allow to harden in a solid sheet and break it apart like brittle. Cool completely before removing from pan.
Calories: 162 kcal
Carbohydrates: 15.2 g
Cholesterol: 21 mg
Fat: 11.4 g
Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 1.2 g
Sodium: 68 mg