These cookies freeze well either baked or unbaked. Extremely dainty and delicious cookie. You can also sprinkle the top with coarse sugar.
Original recipe makes 2 dozen
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled
4 ounces cream cheese, cold
3/4 cup apricot jam
1/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup toasted and chopped almonds
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/3 cup chopped almonds
1/3 cup sifted confectioners’ sugar
- To Make Pastry: Place the flour in a bowl. Cut the butter into the flour and blend until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Cut the cream cheese into small cubes and rub into the flour-butter mixture. Knead until the dough forms a ball. Cut dough in half, wrap each half in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- To Make Filling: Stir the apricot jam until it is spreadable. In a bowl combine the sugar with the chopped nuts and grated lemon peel.
- To Assemble: On a lightly floured surface roll out each half of dough. The larger and thinner the circle the crisper the cookies will be. Each circle should be at least 9 inches in diameter. Spread each circle with jam and sprinkle with the almond mixture.
- Cut each circle into twelve wedges. Roll each wedge up tightly from the outside edges. Turn edges slightly to form a crescent. Place crescents on a parchment lined baking sheet about 1 inch apart. Repeat until all cookies are shaped.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat egg and brush cookies with beaten egg. Sprinkle with nuts. Bake cookies for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let cookies cool on wire wracks then dust with sifted confectioners’ sugar.
Calories: 136 kcal
Carbohydrates: 15.1 g
Cholesterol: 24 mg
Fat: 8 g
Fiber: 0.7 g
Protein: 2.2 g
Sodium: 22 mg