Welcome to one of this country’s most delicious unknown sandwiches, the Beef on Weck. This simple but brilliant creation features thinly sliced, horseradish-covered roast beef piled high on a freshly baked kummelweck roll. The roll’s fragrant caraway seeds and coarse salt are a perfect accent, and when you add a steaming ramekin of fresh beef jus for dunking, you’ll understand why this is the pride of Western New York.
Original recipe makes 12 kummelweck rolls
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
1 cup warm water (105 degrees F/41 degrees C)
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
1 large egg white
1 tablespoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon honey, or more to taste
1 large egg white
2 teaspoons water
1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds, or to taste
coarse sea salt to taste
2 hrs 20 mins
- Whisk 1/2 cup flour, 1 cup warm water, and yeast together in the bowl of a stand mixer. Let sit until foamy, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir 2 tablespoons oil, 1 egg white, sugar, salt, and honey into yeast mixture; whisk until smooth. Gradually add flour to yeast mixture while mixer is running with the dough hook attached; knead until a soft, sticky dough forms, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drizzle remaining vegetable oil into the bowl and turn dough to coat. Cover the bowl and let dough rise until doubled in size, 1 to 2 hours.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicone baking mat.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface, flatten dough, and press into rectangle. Cut dough into 12 pieces and form pieces into rolls. Place rolls 2-inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Whisk 1 egg white and 2 teaspoons water together in a small bowl. Use kitchen shears to cut an X at the top of each roll. Brush rolls with egg white mixture and sprinkle with caraway seeds and salt.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
Calories: 159 kcal
Carbohydrates: 27.7 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 3.2 g
Fiber: 1.1 g
Protein: 4.3 g
Sodium: 328 mg