These chewy squares ooze brown sugary butterscotch. They becrumb the lips and besmear the chin, like home-baked goodies should.
Original recipe makes 3 dozen
1 cup butter, melted
2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
2 tablespoons water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C).
- Melt 1 cup butter in a large saucepan. Add 2 cups light brown sugar and beat well to mix. Cool the mixture slightly, then beat in eggs and vanilla.
- Sift together all-purpose flour, salt and baking powder. Stir it into the wet ingredients, then add the nuts. Mix well.
- Spread batter in a greased 11 x 7 x 2-inch pan and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a light gold. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn out of pan and let brownies finish cooling on a rack.
- To Make Frosting: Disolve coffee in the water. Cream 1/2 cup butter with confectioner’s sugar. Beat it until light. Beat into the sugar mixture. Spread over the brownies. When frosting has set, cut brownies into squares. Enjoy!
Calories: 417 kcal
Carbohydrates: 56.6 g
Cholesterol: 76 mg
Fat: 20.6 g
Fiber: 0.8 g
Protein: 3.7 g
Sodium: 233 mg