We were given a lot of strawberries and I had to figure out what to do with them so they didn’t go bad. So I came up with this recipe. I hope everyone likes it as much as my kids did. I prefer fresh strawberries over strawberry extract because it gives it a more fruitful flavor. But the extract is good as well. You decide.
Original recipe makes 2 dozen cookies
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons strawberry puree
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon red colored sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Beat 1 1/2 cups white sugar and butter together in a bowl with an electric mixer until creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat egg into butter mixture. Add strawberry puree.
- Stir flour, vanilla extract, baking powder, and salt into strawberry mixture with a spoon until flour is completely incorporated into dough.
- Stir 1/2 cup white sugar and red sugar together in a shallow bowl.
- Roll dough into walnut-sized balls, roll each ball in red sugar mixture, and place each ball 1 1/2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Lightly press each dough ball down to flatten.
- Bake cookies in the preheated oven until lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes. Cool.
Calories: 189 kcal
Carbohydrates: 27.9 g
Cholesterol: 29 mg
Fat: 8 g
Fiber: 0.4 g
Protein: 1.8 g
Sodium: 116 mg