This is my recipe that won the local Wal*Mart Cookie Bake Off in Napoleon, Ohio this year.
Original recipe makes 3 dozen
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
- Combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl , cream the vegetable shortening and the two sugars. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients.
- Fold in the chocolate chips and the nuts. Cover and chill for 2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Drop cookie by teaspoonfuls onto shiny lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes and transfer to wire racks to cool. Take out of oven when lightly colored – they will darken after being taken off cookie sheet.
Calories: 315 kcal
Carbohydrates: 34 g
Cholesterol: 12 mg
Fat: 19.8 g
Fiber: 1.5 g
Protein: 3.3 g
Sodium: 143 mg