Delicious chocolate cake to serve during the holidays. If desired, garnish with whole pecans and chocolate curls
Original recipe makes 2 – 8 or 9 inch pans
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1 (18.25 ounce) package devil’s food cake mix with pudding
1 1/4 cups water
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
1/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). In a saucepan, combine the butter or margarine, 1/4 c whipping cream and brown sugar. Cook over low heat until the butter is just melted, stirring occasionally. Pour into two 8 or 9 inch round cake pans. Sprinkle evenly with the chopped pecans.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, oil and eggs at low speed until moistened. Beat 2 minutes at the highest speed. Carefully spoon the batter over the pecan mixture.
- Bake at 325 degrees F (165 degrees C) for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the cake springs back when lightly touched in the center. Cool 5 minutes. Remove from the pans and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the 1 3/4 cups whipping cream until soft peaks form. Blend in the confectioners’ sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until stiff peaks form.
- To assemble the cake, place one layer on a serving plate, praline side up. Spread with half of the whipped cream. Top with the second layer. Frost with the remaining whipped cream.. Store in refrigerator.
Calories: 295 kcal
Carbohydrates: 26.4 g
Cholesterol: 68 mg
Fat: 20.3 g
Fiber: 0.5 g
Protein: 3.3 g
Sodium: 205 mg