These are such cute cupcakes for Easter! Your family will love them. My family went crazy when I made them.
Original recipe makes 2 dozen cupcakes
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 egg whites
2 (16 ounce) packages vanilla frosting, divided
sweetened flake coconut, or as needed
1 drop red food coloring, or as needed
12 whole graham cracker squares (4 cookies each)
48 miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line 24 cupcake cups with paper liners.
- Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda together in a bowl. Beat buttermilk, vegetable shortening, vanilla extract, and salt into dry ingredients until thoroughly combined; beat egg whites into batter. Pour batter into prepared cupcake cups, filing them 2/3 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cupcakes are lightly browned, about 30 minutes. Let cool.
- Divide a container of frosting in half and tint half pink with red food coloring; set remaining vanilla frosting aside. Use second frosting container to frost cupcakes. Cover cupcakes with coconut.
- Break graham crackers into individual cookies and cut each cookie carefully into a leaf shape pointed at both ends to make 48 ears. Cover each ear with remaining white frosting and frost the inside of each ear shape with pink frosting. Stick 2 ears into each cupcake. Push 2 mini chocolate chips into tops of cupcakes below ears to make eyes; add a dot of pink frosting to each for a nose.
Calories: 401 kcal
Carbohydrates: 60.8 g
Cholesterol: < 1 mg
Fat: 16.5 g
Fiber: 1.8 g
Protein: 3.4 g
Sodium: 199 mg