This is a very good fruitcake and pretty easy too! Bake as cookies or a cake. The whole wheat flour gives it a nice flavor.
Original recipe makes 1 9×5 inch loaf or 3 dozen cookies
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup water
1 cup raisins
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup candied mixed fruit peel, chopped
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup chopped dried mixed fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease one 5×9 inch loaf pan.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook together the sugar, water, raisins, butter and salt. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Sift together the flour, soda, ginger and cinnamon. Stir into the cooled cooked mixture.
- Add the chopped dates, mixed peels, nuts and dried fruit.
- Pour into loaf pan and bake for 1 hour or drop by the teaspoon on a cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
Calories: 184 kcal
Carbohydrates: 37.8 g
Cholesterol: 3 mg
Fat: 3.8 g
Fiber: 2.5 g
Protein: 2.5 g
Sodium: 132 mg