Nothing smells better than home-baked bread–this is a hearty bread, great with mustard, corned beef, Swiss cheese, and sauerkraut.
Original recipe makes 2 loaves
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
1 1/2 cups lukewarm milk
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup molasses
2 tablespoons butter
3 1/4 cups rye flour
2 1/2 cups bread flour
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- In a large bowl combine milk, sugar, and salt. Use a mixer to beat in molasses, butter, yeast mixture, and 1 cup of rye flour.
- Use a wooden spoon to mix in the remaining rye flour. Add white flour by stirring until the dough is stiff enough to knead.
- Knead 5 to 10 minutes, adding flour as needed. If the dough sticks to your hands or the board add more flour.
- Cover dough and let rise 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until double.
- Punch down dough and divide to form two round loaves. Let loaves rise on a greased baking sheet until double, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
Calories: 144 kcal
Carbohydrates: 28.5 g
Cholesterol: 4 mg
Fat: 1.7 g
Fiber: 2.5 g
Protein: 3.6 g
Sodium: 113 mg