Spicy cookies that everyone loves. I’ve mailed them before and they mail beautifully. I’ve been making these for about 25 years, and never met anyone yet who didn’t like them.
Original recipe makes 3 dozen
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/3 cups packed brown sugar
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup apples – peeled, cored and finely diced
1 cup raisins
1/4 cup milk
1 1/2 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Beat shortening and brown sugar together until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and blend thoroughly.
- Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg.
- Stir half the dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts, apple and raisins, then stir in remaining half of dry ingredients and milk. Mix well.
- Drop from tablespoon 1 1/2 inches apart onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Remove cookies to racks and while still warm, spread with glaze.
- To make Glaze: Combine powdered sugar, butter, vanilla and enough cream to make glaze of spreading consistency. Beat until smooth. Spread on warm cookies.
Calories: 289 kcal
Carbohydrates: 45.7 g
Cholesterol: 14 mg
Fat: 11.4 g
Fiber: 1.4 g
Protein: 3.3 g
Sodium: 151 mg