If you really like chocolate you’re gonna love this. I will drive 500 miles to grandma’s just for this cake.
Original recipe makes 1 – 9 inch layer cake
1 (18.25 ounce) package chocolate cake mix
1 1/2 cups milk
8 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups butter
5 tablespoons shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 pinch salt
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
- Bake chocolate cake mix according to package directions for two 9 inch layers. Let cakes cool then split layers in half.
- In a saucepan mix 1-1/2 cups milk with 8 tablespoons flour, cook until thick and set aside to cool.
- Beat 1 1/4 cup of butter and 5 tablespoons shortening until fluffy. Add 1-1/2 cups sugar and mix well. Stir in the flour mixture. Beat until mixture stands in peaks. Stir in vanilla.
- Spread this mixture between the cake layers and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- In a saucepan combine cocoa, 1 cup sugar, salt, 1/4 cup milk, and 1/4 cup butter. Cook over low heat and bring to a boil. Boil mixture for one minute, do not stir. Remove from heat and add 1 teaspoon vanilla and beat until thick, this may take a few minutes. Once thick pour mixture over cooled cake and let drizzle down sides of cake and over top. Keep cake refrigerated.
Calories: 638 kcal
Carbohydrates: 79.8 g
Cholesterol: 64 mg
Fat: 36.1 g
Fiber: 1.8 g
Protein: 4.8 g
Sodium: 566 mg