I was given quite a few Chai tea bags and found I wasn’t a fan of the drink, but I liked the flavor and thought it would be good in a baked product. These rich, moist treats require no frosting. They are perfect with a cup of coffee or tea or even a glass of cold milk.
Original recipe makes 10 cupcakes
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, chopped
4 chai tea bags
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
3/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Line a muffin tin with 10 paper liners.
- Melt butter and chocolate in the top of a double boiler over simmering water until smooth, stirring frequently and scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula to avoid scorching, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Open tea bags and pour the chai mixture into a spice grinder; grind into a fine powder, 5 to 10 seconds.
- Mix flour, sugar, and chai powder together in a large bowl; add eggs, one at a time, whisking until batter is smooth after each addition. Stir in vanilla extract. Pour chocolate mixture into batter, stirring until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared muffin cups.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean and the tops are glossy and slightly cracked, about 25 minutes. Remove muffins immediately from tin and cool on a wire rack.
Calories: 207 kcal
Carbohydrates: 21.8 g
Cholesterol: 67 mg
Fat: 13.2 g
Fiber: 1.1 g
Protein: 2.7 g
Sodium: 17 mg