This truly is the World’s Best Lasagna! I love this recipe but I am always looking for ways to take out the fat when I cook. I substituted lean ground turkey and turkey sausage for the meat. I also used lite mozzarella and cut out the egg and salt.
Original recipe makes 12 servings
1 pound turkey sausage
3/4 pound lean ground turkey
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
2 (6.5 ounce) cans canned tomato sauce
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
12 lasagna noodles
16 ounces ricotta cheese
3/4 pound low fat mozzarella cheese, sliced
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 hrs 30 mins
3 hrs 15 mins
- Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir turkey sausage, ground turkey, onion, and garlic until well browned, about 15 minutes. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and water. Season with basil, fennel seeds, Italian seasoning, pepper, and 2 tablespoons parsley. Simmer, uncovered, for about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna in the boiling water, stirring occasionally until cooked through but firm to the bite, about 8 minutes. Drain.
- Spread 1 1/2 cups turkey sauce in bottom of 9×13 baking dish. Arrange 6 noodles lengthwise over sauce. Spread half the ricotta over noodles. Top with a third of the mozzarella cheese slices. Spoon 1 1/2 cups turkey sauce over mozzarella, and sprinkle with 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers and top with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. Cover with aluminum foil; make sure foil does not touch cheese to prevent sticking.
- Bake in preheated oven until sauce is hot and cheese is melted, about 25 minutes more. Remove foil and bake until cheese is golden brown, about 25 minutes. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
Calories: 390 kcal
Carbohydrates: 33.4 g
Cholesterol: 81 mg
Fat: 15.4 g
Fiber: 3.9 g
Protein: 33.1 g
Sodium: 1129 mg