On the back of a McCann’s® Quick Cooking Irish Oatmeal box I noticed a recipe for ‘Irish Oatmeal Cookies.’ I more or less followed the recipe substituting things here and there, and the results were über-delicious. Perfect for a coffee or tea break snack or breakfast. I would have added some cinnamon if my hubby didn’t dislike that flavor so much. Please try it! Here’s what I did.
Original recipe makes 18 thick cookies
1 1/4 cups coconut oil
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon coarse salt
3 cups quick-cooking Irish oatmeal (such as McCann’s®)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Grease 18 muffin cups with coconut oil.
- Beat coconut oil, brown sugar, and white sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until smooth. Mix in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Beat 1 egg and vanilla extract into the coconut oil mixture.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and coarse salt together in a bowl; beat into the coconut oil mixture until a dough forms.
- Fold oatmeal, raisins, and almonds into dough. Mix beaten egg into dough if needed for moisture.
- Spoon dough into prepared muffin cups to about half full.
- Bake in preheated oven until center is set and top is lightly browned, 12 to 14 minutes.
Calories: 312 kcal
Carbohydrates: 33.7 g
Cholesterol: 24 mg
Fat: 18.7 g
Fiber: 3 g
Protein: 5.8 g
Sodium: 209 mg