This cake is a huge hit with my family during the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. It’s very moist and just melts in your mouth. It’s a yummy alternative to traditional pumpkin pie. This cake is good as is, or sprinkled with powdered sugar. It is especially tasty with a good glaze drizzled on top. The glaze that my family likes best is made with cream cheese and a little bit of rum.
Original recipe makes 12 servings
2 cups self-rising flour
3 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup melted butter
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 cups unsweetened canned pumpkin puree
4 eggs, lightly beaten
1 (4 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon butter, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 teaspoon rum extract
1 tablespoon milk
1 hr 15 mins
2 hrs 30 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a Bundt pan.
- Sift the self-rising flour and pumpkin pie spice together into a bowl. In another mixing bowl, beat the white and brown sugars, vegetable oil, melted butter, applesauce, vanilla, pumpkin, and eggs together until smooth.
- Gradually beat the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until completely smooth and well blended. Pour the batter into the prepared Bundt pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 minutes. Cover cake with aluminum foil to prevent over-browning, and bake until a wooden skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes longer. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack for about half an hour.
- To unmold the cake, tap the bottom of the Bundt pan on the counter or work surface to help release it. Invert the cake on a serving plate and allow it to cool completely before glazing.
- To make the glaze, mix the cream cheese with the butter, confectioners’ sugar, rum extract, and milk in a bowl. Heat in a microwave oven for 15 seconds. Drizzle spoonfuls over the cooled cake. Keep cake refrigerated after serving.
Calories: 492 kcal
Carbohydrates: 76.3 g
Cholesterol: 94 mg
Fat: 19.3 g
Fiber: 2.5 g
Protein: 5.7 g
Sodium: 501 mg