If you enjoy Grape Nuts® cereal, try making your own with this easy recipe. This cereal has a great crunch texture and is a bit sweeter than the commercial Grape Nuts® cereal. Why make your own? Because it’s addictive and much less expensive!
Original recipe makes 12 servings
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 hrs 5 mins
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with waxed paper.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Stir in buttermilk and vanilla extract; mix well. Pour mixture into prepared baking sheet and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned and firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool patty in the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Break cooked patty into chunks and put through a meat grinder, using a coarse blade. Divide crumbs over two baking sheets.
- Bake in the oven until dry, stirring every 10 minutes, about 30 minutes. Allow crumbs to cool completely and store in an airtight container.
Calories: 207 kcal
Carbohydrates: 45.6 g
Cholesterol: 2 mg
Fat: 1 g
Fiber: 4.4 g
Protein: 6.2 g
Sodium: 349 mg