‘Farl’ means four, so pat your dough into a 1.5-inch-thick round and cut into four pieces. Serve warm with butter and jam or use as part of an Ulster Fry. Mmmm! If you can find soda bread flour, use it in place of self-rising flour.
Original recipe makes 4 pieces
2 cups self-rising flour
1 cup buttermilk
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, or as needed
- Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet over medium heat.
- Mix the self-rising flour and buttermilk together in a bowl until a workable dough forms; turn out onto a lightly floured work surface.
- Pat the dough into a 1 1/2-inch thick round.
- Cut the dough into 4 wedges.
- Sprinkle enough all-purpose flour into the bottom of the skillet to lightly coat.
- Cook the dough in the hot skillet until evenly browned and cooked through, about 8 minutes per side.
Calories: 253 kcal
Carbohydrates: 50.8 g
Cholesterol: 2 mg
Fat: 1.2 g
Fiber: 1.7 g
Protein: 8.4 g
Sodium: 858 mg