Fried ravioli cookie with a chick pea and chocolate filling. This recipe gets extra points for originality!
Original recipe makes 36 cookies
4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate
1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
2 cups shortening for frying
1 cup garbanzo beans, drained and pureed
1 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup pureed dates
3/4 cup ground walnuts
1/4 cup melted shortening
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar for dusting
- Melt semisweet chocolate and unsweetened chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in a bowl in the microwave. Stir until smooth. Set aside to cool. Heat the 2 cups shortening in a large, heavy skillet or deep fryer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the pureed garbanzo beans, sugar, and cinnamon. Stir in the dates and nuts. Blend with the cooled chocolate. Chill while you make the dough.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs until fluffy. Stir in the 1/4 cup melted shortening. Sift together the flour, sugar, and salt, and fold into the egg mixture. Add extra flour if necessary to make the dough easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough out to 1/8 inch thickness. Cut into 3 inch circles using a cookie cutter or a large drinking glass. Place 1 teaspoon of the chocolate filling mixture onto the center of each cookie, fold over into a half circle, and pinch to seal.
- Fry cookies in 1 1/2 inches of hot oil, turning once. Cookies should be light brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Refrigerate when cool. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar before serving.
Calories: 133 kcal
Carbohydrates: 19.3 g
Cholesterol: 18 mg
Fat: 5.7 g
Fiber: 1.1 g
Protein: 2.4 g
Sodium: 42 mg