I’ve learned to make this dish from my grandmother who still lives on the shore of the Mediterranean.
Original recipe makes 4 to 6 servings
3 eggplants, peeled and cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch thick slices
3 tablespoons olive oil
6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – diced
1 onion, diced
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons dried oregano
salt and pepper to taste
1 hr 20 mins
- Place eggplant strips in a big pot of lightly salted water and soak for 30 minutes (this will improve the taste; they will leave a brown color in the pot).
- Remove eggplant from pot and brush lightly with olive oil. Saute or grill until lightly browned and place in a 9×13 inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Saute diced chicken and onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in tomato paste and water, cover skillet, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Pour chicken/tomato mixture over eggplant. Season with oregano, salt and pepper and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
Calories: 336 kcal
Carbohydrates: 26.6 g
Cholesterol: 82 mg
Fat: 10.6 g
Fiber: 7.4 g
Protein: 35.5 g
Sodium: 147 mg