A wonderful mussel sauce served over a bed of noodles.
Original recipe makes 4 servings
4 quarts fresh mussels
1 (16 ounce) package linguini pasta
3 tablespoons butter
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
6 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1 bay leaf
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 cups white wine
- Scrub mussels and pull off beards, cutting them at the base with a paring knife. Discard those that do not close when you handle them and any with broken shells.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until al dente; drain and reserve.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet place 2 tablespoons butter or margarine, onion, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, thyme and wine. Bring to a boil and lower heat; cook for 2 minutes. Add mussels; cover and cook just until they open, 3 to 4 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Divide pasta into 4 bowls and spoon mussels over noodles.
- Strain mussel liquid, and return to pot. Add remaining butter or margarine and heat until it melts. Pour over mussels and serve.
Calories: 699 kcal
Carbohydrates: 91.9 g
Cholesterol: 70 mg
Fat: 12.7 g
Fiber: 4.5 g
Protein: 33.5 g
Sodium: 335 mg