I have a stepfather who is a chocoholic and lactose intolerant. This works for him.
Original recipe makes 1 10-inch layer cake
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1 cup water
3/4 cup maple syrup
2/3 cup applesauce
1 1/4 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 quart soy milk
1 cup barley malt syrup
2 cups brown rice syrup
5 tablespoons egg substitute
1/4 cup water
1 (10.5 ounce) package crumbled firm silken tofu
1 1/2 pounds flaked coconut
3 cups chopped pecans
6 tablespoons arrowroot powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 10-inch round cake pans.
- In a large bowl sift together all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, soda, and cocoa.
- In another bowl mix the brown sugar, oil, 1 cup water, maple syrup, applesauce, vinegar, and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix for 2 minutes. Pour into prepared pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Cool and frost with Non-Dairy German Chocolate Frosting. To make frosting: scald soy milk, barley malt syrup, and brown rice syrup.
- Mix egg substitute and 1/4 cup water until foamy. Add to milk and syrup mixture and cook until thickened.
- Blend tofu in food processor until smooth and add to thickened syrup mixture with coconut, pecans, and arrowroot. Cook for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Cool.
Calories: 884 kcal
Carbohydrates: 124.5 g
Cholesterol: < 1 mg
Fat: 38.3 g
Fiber: 9.2 g
Protein: 15.1 g
Sodium: 297 mg