These bars taste just like oatmeal cookies!
Original recipe makes 4 dozen
2 1/2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup white sugar
2/3 cup water
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
3/4 cup shortening
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- To make Filling: In a saucepan over low heat, combine dates, water, white sugar, and lemon juice. Heat for about 8 minutes, or until thick. Set aside to let cool.
- To make Pastry: In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, oats and salt. Mix until well blended. Add in shortening until mixture forms into coarse crumbs.
- Press half of pastry mix into pan. Cover with date mixture and spread remaining pastry mix over the top.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Let cool on wire rack before cutting.
Calories: 103 kcal
Carbohydrates: 18.1 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 3.4 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 0.9 g
Sodium: 26 mg