These cookies are easy to make and one of my favorites.
Original recipe makes 4 dozen
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup shortening
1/2 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups quick cooking oats
1 cup dates, pitted and chopped
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease cookie sheets.
- In separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening and both sugars until light and fluffy, using electric mixer at medium speed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Blend in vanilla.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to creamed mixture, mixing well with spoon.
- Stir in oats, dates and walnuts.
- Drop dough by teaspoonfuls, about 2 inches apart, on cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on racks.
Calories: 233 kcal
Carbohydrates: 30.7 g
Cholesterol: 26 mg
Fat: 11.3 g
Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 3.3 g
Sodium: 120 mg