This bread is delicious. Plan ahead 12 hours!
Original recipe makes 2 loaves
1 cup regular rolled oats
2 cups buttermilk
3 tablespoons dark molasses
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
12 hrs 50 mins
- Mix rolled oats, buttermilk, and molasses in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
- Whisk together whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, salt, baking soda, and cream of tartar until combined; pour flour mixture into buttermilk mixture and stir just until moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly-floured work surface and knead 3 or 4 times until dough holds its shape.
- Cut dough in half; pat each half into a 6-inch round loaf.
- Use a sharp knife to deeply score each loaf in quarters, cutting 1-inch deep.
- Wrap each loaf in plastic wrap and allow to stand at least 12 hours at room temperature to ferment. (Loaves can be refrigerated up to 2 more days after this, if desired.)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Place loaves on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake loaves for 15 minutes and reduce heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Continue to bake until loaves are browned and make a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom, about 20 more minutes.
- Allow breads to cool for 10 minutes before slicing. To serve, slice loaves 3/4-inch thick all across the loaf, then cut slices in half.
Calories: 295 kcal
Carbohydrates: 60.2 g
Cholesterol: 2 mg
Fat: 2.2 g
Fiber: 6.9 g
Protein: 11.1 g
Sodium: 742 mg