These cookies are mixed, wrapped in wax paper, chilled, sliced and then baked. My grandmother and my mother both made these and now I make them for my family.
Original recipe makes 3 dozen
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 pinch salt
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup white sugar
1 egg yolk
3 tablespoons milk
1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate
- Combine butter and sugar and egg yolk. Add dry ingredients and milk alternately.
- Divide dough into 2 equal parts. Melt chocolate over low heat and add to one half of the dough.
- Use a rolling pin and roll each half into a rectangle. Put the chocolate rectangle on top of the vanilla one. Roll up like a jelly roll in wax paper.
- Chill several hours, best if chilled overnight.
- Slice them and bake at 400 degrees (200 degrees C) for about 5 minutes.
Calories: 58 kcal
Carbohydrates: 7.1 g
Cholesterol: 13 mg
Fat: 3.2 g
Fiber: 0.3 g
Protein: 0.8 g
Sodium: 37 mg