Awesome, moist scones made with the seasonal favorite pumpkin and topped off with a mouth-watering brown butter glaze.
Original recipe makes 16 scones
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 pinch ground cloves
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin puree
2/3 cup plain yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons milk, or more as needed
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Mix flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt, ground ginger, and ground cloves together in a bowl. Cut unsalted butter chunks into flour mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs; make a well in the center.
- Pour pumpkin puree, yogurt, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract into the well in flour mixture; stir with a wooden spoon until a soft dough forms. Mix pecans into dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat into two equal-size circles. Cut each circle into 8 wedges; transfer to a baking stone or baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake scones in the preheated oven until firm to the touch and lightly browned, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat until butter is foaming and nut-brown in color, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Beat brown butter, confectioners’ sugar, milk, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until sugar is dissolved and glaze is shiny, 3 to 4 minutes, adding more milk as necessary. Drizzle glaze over cooled scones.
Calories: 314 kcal
Carbohydrates: 33.9 g
Cholesterol: 39 mg
Fat: 18.6 g
Fiber: 2.1 g
Protein: 4.1 g
Sodium: 304 mg