I went a little overboard creating a fun confetti-ish cake for a student teacher and deemed the result ‘Clown Vomit Cake.’ Despite its nickname, it’s a popular request now with my colleagues! Frost with your favorite frosting and top with colored sugar.
Original recipe makes 1 8-inch layer cake
3 egg whites
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
1 1/3 cups water
2 tablespoons canola oil
red paste food coloring
orange paste food coloring
yellow paste food coloring
green paste food coloring
blue paste food coloring
purple paste food coloring
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Beat the egg whites with an electric mixer until frothy, about 1 minute. Add the cake mix, water, and canola oil; continue beating for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Divide the cake batter into six separate bowls. Use a toothpick to scoop a dab of food coloring into one bowl of batter and stir; add more food coloring, if necessary, to reach the desired shade. Repeat with the remaining colors and bowls of batter.
- Scoop spoonfuls of batter into the prepared pans, alternating the colors. Use a toothpick to gently swirl the colors for a marbled effect.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes clean, about 30-35 minutes. Cool in the pans for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack.
Calories: 309 kcal
Carbohydrates: 49.9 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 10.5 g
Fiber: 0.6 g
Protein: 4.2 g
Sodium: 446 mg