So delicious and decadent. Wonderful. Made the perfect Valentine’s Day breakfast. Very rich. Makes quite a bit of glaze.
Original recipe makes 6 servings
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups buttermilk
1/3 cup melted butter, cooled
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
1 tablespoon red velvet food coloring (such as Lorann Professional Kitchen®) Red Velvet Bakery Emulsion) or as desired
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
6 tablespoons butter, softened
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/2 cup whole milk, or more as needed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, or to taste
6 tablespoons whipped cream, or to taste
1 cup sliced strawberries, or to taste
- Whisk flour, white sugar, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat buttermilk, melted butter, eggs, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, and vinegar together in a bowl until smooth. Stir red food coloring into buttermilk mixture. Mix buttermilk mixture into flour mixture until just combined.
- Preheat a waffle iron according to manufacturer’s instructions.
- Beat cream cheese and softened butter together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy. Gradually mix 2 cups confectioners’ sugar into cream cheese mixture, alternating with milk and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, until glaze is smooth.
- Spoon 1/4 to 1/2 cup waffle batter into preheated waffle iron. Cook according to manufacturer’s directions. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Lightly dust each waffle with remaining confectioners’ sugar, drizzle with glaze, and top each with whipped cream and strawberries.
Calories: 731 kcal
Carbohydrates: 91.7 g
Cholesterol: 167 mg
Fat: 35.9 g
Fiber: 2 g
Protein: 12.2 g
Sodium: 967 mg