A sweet, rich dinner bread my mother introduced to me many Thanksgivings ago.
Original recipe makes 15 servings
1 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup water
3 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup honey
3 eggs, beaten
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
2 hrs 15 mins
- Heat milk in a saucepan over medium-low heat; add butter and water. Stir mixture until butter melts, about 5 minutes. Remove milk mixture from heat and cool to lukewarm, 5 to 10 minutes. Pour milk mixture into a bowl of a stand mixer.
- Stir flour, honey, eggs, yeast, salt, vanilla extract, and almond extract into milk mixture; beat using the paddle attachment of the mixer until well blended, about 3 minutes. Cover bowl with a damp towel and place in a warm spot of the kitchen until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Punch down dough and transfer to a 9- or 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until lightly browned, about 50 minutes.
Calories: 221 kcal
Carbohydrates: 32.8 g
Cholesterol: 60 mg
Fat: 7.8 g
Fiber: 1 g
Protein: 5.3 g
Sodium: 376 mg