Very pretty chocolate and plain shortbread cookies.
Original recipe makes 14 cookies
1 1/8 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup super fine sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 tablespoon cocoa
1 tablespoon sweet chocolate, grated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F(175 degrees C).
- Sift all but 2 tablespoons of flour into a bowl, then add the sugar. Rub, or cut in butter until the mixture is crumbly. Divide in half. Work in the remaining 2 tablespoons of flour to one half, then the cocoa and ground chocolate to the other half. Knead each portion well with your fingers to form a smooth dough.
- Turn onto a lightly dusted with cornstarch surface, and roll out each portion to 1/4 inch thick circles. Using a 2 1/2 inch round cookie cutter, cut out 7 circles from each piece of rolled out dough. Out of these circles, cut two more circles, one 1 1/4 inch, and one 3/4 inch. Now you should have fourteen 2 1/2 inch rings, fourteen 1 1/2 inch rings and fourteen 3/4 inch circles.
- Construct wheels on greased baking sheets by starting with the largest rings, then alternating the colors to fill in. You should end up with 7 cookies that have a chocolate ring on the outside, a plain ring in the middle and a chocolate circle in the center; and 7 cookies that have a plain ring on the outside, a chocolate ring in the middle and a plain circle in the center.
- Bake for 12 minutes. Leave on sheets for 2 minutes, then remove with a flat knife. Cool completely on wire racks.
Calories: 114 kcal
Carbohydrates: 12 g
Cholesterol: 17 mg
Fat: 7 g
Fiber: 0.4 g
Protein: 1.2 g
Sodium: 47 mg