Strawberry ice cream and dark chocolate chips.
Original recipe makes 2 quarts
1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
1 cup white sugar, divided
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
1 cup whole milk
6 egg yolks
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pinch salt
8 ounces dark chocolate chips
12 hrs 30 mins
- Blend strawberries, 1/4 cup sugar, and lemon juice in a food processor until strawberries are coarsely chopped. Transfer mixture to a bowl and refrigerate until chilled, about 1 hour.
- Heat 1 cup heavy cream, milk, and 3/4 cup sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat until warmed through and sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes; remove from heat, cover, and allow cream mixture to cool for 30 minutes.
- Whisk egg yolks together in a bowl. Slowly pour the warm cream mixture into the egg yolks, whisking constantly. Transfer warmed egg mixture back to the saucepan.
- Heat egg yolk mixture over medium heat, constantly stirring and scraping the bottom of the saucepan, until custard thickens enough to coat the back of a spatula, about 5 minutes.
- Pour remaining 1 cup heavy cream into a large bowl and set a strainer atop the bowl. Slowly pour custard through strainer and stir. Add vanilla extract and salt. Stir chilled strawberry mixture and chocolate chips into custard.
- Place ice cubes into a large bowl and add water; stir. Place the bowl of strawberry-chocolate mixture into the ice bath and allow mixture to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes; remove bowl from ice bath and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until well chilled, 8 hours to overnight.
- Pour chilled mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s directions until it reaches "soft-serve" consistency. Transfer ice cream to a lidded container. Cover surface with plastic wrap and seal. For best results, ice cream should ripen in the freezer for at least 2 hours or overnight.
Calories: 260 kcal
Carbohydrates: 26.8 g
Cholesterol: 119 mg
Fat: 17 g
Fiber: 0.9 g
Protein: 3.1 g
Sodium: 50 mg