This is different than others I’ve tried – moist, easy, and crunchy exterior.
Original recipe makes 12 servings
1 tablespoon cornmeal, or as needed
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter, cut into pieces
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1 teaspoon unbleached all-purpose flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sprinkle cornmeal onto a baking sheet or spray with cooking spray.
- Combine 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture using a pastry blender or your fingers until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Stir buttermilk into flour mixture using a fork just until dough is blended; knead 5 times in the bowl. Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead dough using floured hands 8 to 10 times; shape into a 6- to 8-inch loaf.
- Place loaf on the prepared baking sheet and sprinkle about 1 teaspoon flour over loaf. Cut a long ‘x’ over the top of the loaf using a serrated knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bread is golden, sounds hollow when top is tapped, and internal temperature is 190 degrees F (88 degrees C), 45 to 50 minutes.
Calories: 208 kcal
Carbohydrates: 36.5 g
Cholesterol: 11 mg
Fat: 4.9 g
Fiber: 3.1 g
Protein: 5.5 g
Sodium: 355 mg