A friend of mine requested a tres leches cake that wasn’t soggy but full of flavor that could be decorated. This is what I came up with. Fill cake with vanilla cream mousse filling and top with your favorite buttercream recipe. You can also make a 9×13-inch sheet cake and soak with the tres milks, cut into individual servings, and top with mousse rosettes.
Original recipe makes 1 9-inch filled layer cake
cooking spray with flour
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
5 large eggs
1 cup white sugar
2/3 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup milk
2 (5 ounce) cans evaporated milk
1 (10 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/8 teaspoon coconut extract
2 cups heavy whipping cream
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
5 hrs 10 mins
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Spray 2 9-inch round cake pans with cooking spray.
- Mix white cake mix, flour, eggs, sugar, canola oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, baking powder, and milk in a large bowl until thoroughly combined. Pour batter into prepared cake pans.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cakes are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean, 40 to 50 minutes. Let cakes cool about 10 minutes in pans before removing to finish cooling on racks.
- Whisk evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, 6 tablespoons cream, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and coconut extract in a bowl until smooth. Refrigerate the tres leches mixture.
- Beat 2 cups cream with instant vanilla pudding mix in a separate mixing bowl with an electric mixer until soft peaks form, 3 to 5 minutes. Refrigerate mousse filling.
- With a long serrated knife, lightly cut off a thin layer of each cake top to level the cake. Place cakes, leveled sides up, on pieces of waxed paper. Poke holes all over the cakes with a skewer. Slowly pour the tres leches mixture over the cakes, about 1/2 cup at a time, waiting until the mixture has soaked in before continuing to pour on more milk mixture. Wrap cake layers in plastic wrap; refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours.
- Unwrap a cake layer and place onto a serving platter with leveled side up. Top the cake with mousse filling; gently place second cake layer over the filling with leveled side down. Refrigerate leftovers.
Calories: 565 kcal
Carbohydrates: 65.3 g
Cholesterol: 127 mg
Fat: 30.8 g
Fiber: 0.6 g
Protein: 8.4 g
Sodium: 413 mg