This recipe can also be used to make rolls versus whole loaves of bread. Great at any holiday dinner.
Original recipe makes 2 loaves
4 cups water
1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup white sugar
1/4 cup dry buttermilk powder
4 teaspoons salt
2 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
1 cup instant mashed potato flakes
10 cups bread flour, divided
2 hrs 30 mins
- Bring the water, butter, sugar, buttermilk powder, and salt to a simmer in a saucepan over low heat. Remove from the heat, mix well, and let cool to between 105 and 110 degrees F (41 to 43 degrees C). Sprinkle the yeast on top of the mixture, and let stand for about 10 minutes, until the yeast begins to form a creamy foam. Stir in the instant mashed potato flakes, and mix well.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the work bowl of a standing mixer with a dough paddle, and slowly incorporate 8 cups of bread flour into the liquid, adding the flour 1 cup at a time.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface, and knead for about 8 minutes, adding the remaining flour to the dough as you knead. When the dough is smooth and elastic, form into a ball, and place into a large greased bowl. Turn the dough over in the bowl to grease the top, cover with a cloth, and let rise in a warm place for about 1 hour, until doubled.
- Spray 2 9×5 inch loaf pans with cooking spray. Punch the dough down, divide into two pieces, and shape each piece into a loaf shape. Place the loaves in the baking pans, seam sides down, cover with a cloth, and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake bread for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until the tops are golden brown and the loaves sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to a wire rack to cool.
Calories: 253 kcal
Carbohydrates: 46.6 g
Cholesterol: 8 mg
Fat: 3.6 g
Fiber: 1.6 g
Protein: 7.7 g
Sodium: 417 mg