Slightly sweet whole wheat bread. Use stone ground flour if available. This is a very big recipe, you may want to divide it in half.
Original recipe makes 4 loaves
1/3 cup shortening
1 cup hot water
1 cup packed brown sugar
3 (.25 ounce) packages active dry yeast
4 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
4 tablespoons white sugar
4 teaspoons salt
6 cups bread flour
6 cups whole wheat flour
2 hrs 25 mins
- Dissolve brown sugar in 1 cup hot water. Add shortening, and stir to melt. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 4 cups warm water. Add white sugar, salt, and bread flour. Beat well. Stir in shortening mixture. Stir in enough whole wheat flour to make a stiff but not dry dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic. Place in a large, well oiled bowl. Cover, and allow to rise until dough doubles in bulk.
- Divide dough into four equal parts. Shape into loaves. Place in greased, 9 x 5 inch pans, turning each loaf over in pan to grease top. Allow to rise until dough doubles in bulk.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Let cool before slicing.
Calories: 148 kcal
Carbohydrates: 29 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 2 g
Fiber: 2.3 g
Protein: 4.3 g
Sodium: 196 mg