This recipe is very easy to double, though you don’t need quite double the marinade: About 1 1/2 times the marinade is perfect for four packages of tofu.
Original recipe makes 12 pieces
2 (14 ounce) packages extra-firm tofu, drained
1/2 cup sherry vinegar
1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram or thyme
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 hr 25 mins
- Wrap tofu in a clean dish towel and weight it with something heavy such as a large can; leave it to drain for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together remaining ingredients in a bowl.
- Cut each piece of tofu crosswise into 6 thick slices and put it all in a baking dish. Pour marinade over tofu, turning to coat, and chill, covered, turning occasionally, at least 30 minutes or up to 48 hours. Longer is better, but shorter is totally fine.
- Preheat a gas grill on high heat (450 degrees F to 650 degrees F) 10 minutes, then reduce heat to medium (325 degrees F to 375 degrees F)–or do whatever the equivalent is if you’re using charcoal. Oil grate.
- Transfer tofu from marinade (letting excess drip off and reserving marinade) to grill with a spatula. Cover grill and cook tofu, turning once, until well browned but before grill marks get black, 10 to 15 minutes total. Transfer tofu to a platter and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Bring reserved marinade to a boil in a saucepan and boil until it reduces to about 1 cup, about 2 minutes. Pour over tofu and serve hot, warm, or at room temperature.
Calories: 220 kcal
Carbohydrates: 4.9 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Fat: 18.3 g
Fiber: 0.7 g
Protein: 11.8 g
Sodium: 880 mg