Dark beer adds a unique twist to this recipe. You may substitute raisins or currants for the dates if you wish.
Original recipe makes 2 medium loaves
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup mashed bananas
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1 tablespoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups dark beer
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups dates, pitted and chopped
2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger root
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease two 9×5 inch loaf pans.
- In a large bowl cream the brown sugar, banana, eggs, and vanilla. For moister bread, add oil, if desired.
- In a separate bowl, sift together 3 cups flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, all spice, cardamom, and cloves. Alternately blend the flour mixture and beer into the creamed mixture.
- Toss the walnuts with the remaining flour. Stir in the dates and ginger to the mixture and blend well. Pour into two greased 9×5 loaf pans.
- Bake in a 350 degree F (175 degrees C) oven for 1 hour, or until inserted toothpick emerges dry and clean.
Calories: 197 kcal
Carbohydrates: 35.2 g
Cholesterol: 14 mg
Fat: 5.3 g
Fiber: 1.9 g
Protein: 3.1 g
Sodium: 171 mg