Caramel corn gets you started in creating Halloween treat bags with candies, nuts, raisins–choose your favorites!
Original recipe makes 4 quarts
4 quarts popped popcorn
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Karo® Light or Dark Corn Syrup
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Pure Vanilla Extract
Treat bags or bowls
Halloween candies, nuts, dried fruits, etc.
- Spray a large shallow roasting pan with cooking spray. Add popcorn and place in preheated 250 degrees F oven while preparing caramel.
- Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, butter and salt in a heavy 2-quart saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil 5 minutes WITHOUT STIRRING. Remove from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla.
- Pour syrup mixture over warm popcorn, stirring to coat evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven and spread on foil that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Cool; break apart. Store in tightly covered container.
- To serve, set out small bowls of your favorite candies, nuts or fruits and let your guests individualize their own Halloween treat.
Calories: 459 kcal
Carbohydrates: 67.8 g
Cholesterol: 31 mg
Fat: 21 g
Fiber: 1.8 g
Protein: 1.7 g
Sodium: 587 mg