Fresh green beans blanched, then deep-fried to a golden crispness that nobody could resist. Best served with ranch dressing.
Original recipe makes 4 servings
1 pound fresh green beans
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
2 cups vegetable oil, or as needed
- Bring a pot of water to a boil; cook beans in boiling water until bright green, about 2 minutes. Immediately transfer green beans to a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Drain and dry beans with paper towels.
- Heat oil in a deep-fryer or large saucepan to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour flour into a bowl. Whisk egg in a separate bowl. Pour bread crumbs into a third bowl.
- Coat green beans with flour; transfer to beaten egg and coat evenly. Press coated green beans into bread crumbs.
- Fry breaded green beans, working in batches, in the hot oil until golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer fried beans to a paper towel-lined plate to drain.
Calories: 322 kcal
Carbohydrates: 40.7 g
Cholesterol: 53 mg
Fat: 14.2 g
Fiber: 5.8 g
Protein: 9.5 g
Sodium: 552 mg