Deviled eggs with a south-of-the-border kick and a sweet touch.
Original recipe makes 24 deviled eggs
3 cups water
7 dried chipotle chiles, stemmed and seeded
1/3 cup sliced onion
5 tablespoons cider vinegar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
4 thick slices maple-cured bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tablespoons shredded Cheddar cheese
1 hr 25 mins
2 hrs 10 mins
- Place water, chiles, onion, vinegar, ketchup, garlic, and salt in a saucepan; bring to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until reduced and very thick, about 1 hour.
- Pour chile mixture into a blender no more than half full. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend until smooth. Stir cream into chipotle sauce; refrigerate until ready to use.
- Place eggs in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and let eggs stand in hot water for 15 minutes. Remove eggs from hot water, cool under cold running water, and peel.
- Place bacon in a large skillet; cook over medium-high heat, turning occasionally, until evenly browned, about 10 minutes. Drain bacon on paper towels. Crumble half the bacon; reserve remaining bacon for garnish.
- Cut each egg in half lengthwise; place egg yolks into a bowl. Mash egg yolks with a fork; stir in mayonnaise, crumbled bacon, and Cheddar cheese. Stir 1 tablespoon chipotle sauce into yolk mixture, or more to taste.
- Place egg whites cut-side up on a serving plate. Spoon yolk mixture into egg white halves. Sprinkle remaining bacon over filling; drizzle with chipotle sauce.
Calories: 96 kcal
Carbohydrates: 1.4 g
Cholesterol: 114 mg
Fat: 8.2 g
Fiber: 0.1 g
Protein: 4.3 g
Sodium: 168 mg