These taste just like Loft House sugar cookies and are just as soft.
Original recipe makes 3 dozen cookies
1 cup vegetable shortening
1 cup white sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 cup butter
3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, or more to taste
2 tablespoons milk, or as needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Beat vegetable shortening, white sugar, 1/4 cup milk, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract together in a bowl. Whisk flour, salt, and baking soda in a separate bowl. Slowly beat flour mixture into shortening mixture to make a smooth dough.
- Roll dough out 1/4-inch thick on a floured work surface and cut into shapes. Arrange cookies on baking sheets.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cookies are firm, about 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Beat butter, confectioners’ sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and 2 tablespoons milk in a bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until frosting is spreadable and slightly fluffy. Frost cooled cookies.
Calories: 166 kcal
Carbohydrates: 23.6 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Fat: 7.4 g
Fiber: 0.3 g
Protein: 1.5 g
Sodium: 114 mg