I have been making this dish for several years. I use it primarily for Super Bowl and football parties. It is great for holidays and it never fails to impress company. Preparation time is approximately 45 minutes. Makes 20 deviled egg halves.
Original recipe makes 20 servings
2 quarts water
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
10 large eggs
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons Dijon mustard, smooth style
2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish juice
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 tablespoons real bacon bits
1 pinch paprika, or more to taste
2 hrs 10 mins
- Bring water to a boil over high heat and stir in the vinegar. Carefully lower the eggs into the boiling water.
- Return eggs to a boil over medium heat and boil for 15 minutes.
- Transfer the eggs to a colander set in the sink, and run cold water over the eggs for about 5 minutes to chill.
- Peel the eggs under a light stream of cold water and set aside in cold water to finish chilling, about 10 minutes.
- Slice the eggs lengthwise; scoop the egg yolks into a bowl.
- Mash the egg yolks with a fork, then stir in the mayonnaise, 1 tablespoon at a time, until smooth; stir in the Dijon mustard.
- Mix in sweet pickle relish juice, onion powder, and bacon bits; stir with the fork until the yolk mixture is thoroughly combined.
- Fill each egg white half with the yolk mixture using a spoon.
- Dust the deviled eggs with paprika and transfer to a platter.
- Cover the platter with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold and the flavors have blended, at least 1 hour.
Calories: 60 kcal
Carbohydrates: 0.8 g
Cholesterol: 107 mg
Fat: 4.8 g
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 3.4 g
Sodium: 165 mg