Six inch aluminum tubes are usually used to make the shells but I imagine you can improvise with well-scrubbed (3/4 inch diameter) dowels. Have fun.
Original recipe makes 16 – 18 cannoli cookies
3 cups ricotta cheese
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped candied citron
1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons shortening
2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
2 tablespoons cold water
1 egg white
1/4 cup finely chopped pistachio nuts
1/3 cup confectioners’ sugar for decoration
1 cup vegetable oil for frying
- To Make Filling: Combine ricotta cheese, 1 1/4 cups white sugar, and 2 teaspoons vanilla until smooth and creamy. Stir in candied citron and semi-sweet chocolate pieces. Refrigerate to chill.
- To Make Shells: Sift together into a bowl 3 cups flour, 1/4 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender until pieces are the size of small peas. Stir in 2 beaten eggs. Blend in the white vinegar and the cold water one tablespoon at a time.
- Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Wrap in waxed paper and chill in refrigerator for half an hour.
- From cardboard, cut an oval pattern measuring 6 x 4 1/2 inches. Roll chilled dough 1/8 inch thick on floured surface. Using the cardboard pattern and a pastry cutter, cut ovals from dough. Wrap dough ovals loosely around tubes, just lapping over opposite edges. Seal edges by brushing with the slightly beaten egg white.
- Set out a deep saucepan 1/2 to 2/3 full of vegetable oil or shortening and heat to 360 degrees F (180 degrees C). Fry only as many cannoli shells as will float uncrowded one layer deep. Fry about 8 minutes or until golden. Turn occasionally while frying.
- Drain off excess fat before removing to absorbent paper. Cool slightly. Remove tubes. Cool shells completely.
- When ready to serve, fill with chilled ricotta filling. Sprinkle ends of cannoli with chopped pistachio nuts and dust shells with confectioners’ sugar. Keep cannoli filling refrigerated.
Calories: 288 kcal
Carbohydrates: 44.4 g
Cholesterol: 36 mg
Fat: 8.9 g
Fiber: 1.1 g
Protein: 8.2 g
Sodium: 122 mg