This is a mixture of cheese, chicken, and a bit of spice in a phyllo pastry. They are a great finger food, and give a nice flavorful taste.
Original recipe makes 12 servings
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 red onion, chopped
1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
salt and ground black pepper to taste
3 cups cooked, diced chicken breast meat
1 cup shredded Cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese blend
1/2 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1 dash hot pepper sauce
15 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Cook and stir onion, jalapeno pepper, and garlic until tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Combine chicken, Cheddar-Monterey Jack cheese, cream cheese, hot pepper sauce, and onion mixture in a large bowl.
- Spray 5 phyllo sheets each with cooking spray. Stack these 5 phyllo sheets on top of each other and cut into 4 smaller squares.
- Spoon chicken mixture into each of the 4 squares; fold phyllo dough over and seal the edges. Repeat with remaining phyllo dough and chicken mixture until you have 12 filled pockets.
- Brush beaten egg on tops of filled phyllo pockets.
- Place filled phyllo pockets on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Calories: 244 kcal
Carbohydrates: 13.8 g
Cholesterol: 66 mg
Fat: 13.6 g
Fiber: 0.6 g
Protein: 15.9 g
Sodium: 234 mg