My deviled eggs recipe is fairly standard, except I like to add a little cream cheese. Unlike mayonnaise, cream cheese firms up when chilled, and provides a little more luxurious texture.
Original recipe makes 24 servings
12 large eggs
3 tablespoons white sugar
3 tablespoons water
1 red jalapeno pepper, sliced into thin rings
2 tablespoons cream cheese
1/3 cup mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon Sriracha or to taste
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped chives
1 hr 15 mins
- Place eggs in a large pot and cover with water. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Remove from heat, cover the pot and let sit for 17 minutes.
- Combine sugar and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Pour the warm sugar syrup over the pepper rings in a small bowl. Stir and set aside.
- Drain eggs and fill the pan with very cold water. Let eggs sit in cold water until they are cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes.
- Peel eggs and slice in half lengthwise. Remove yolks to a bowl and cover the egg white halves with a damp towel while you prepare the filling.
- Mash together egg yolks, cream cheese, mayonnaise, Sriracha sauce, and Dijon mustard with a spoon or spatula until just combined. Stir in rice vinegar until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pipe filling into the egg shells.
- Top each egg with a ring of candied pepper and chopped chives. Chill for at least 20 minutes before serving.
Calories: 138 kcal
Carbohydrates: 4.1 g
Cholesterol: 216 mg
Fat: 10.7 g
Fiber: 0.1 g
Protein: 6.6 g
Sodium: 239 mg