This is a super moist and tasty coconut cake. Growing up in Brazil, this was a favorite amongst our circle of friends. It is especially good with a cup of coffee on the side. I’ve converted a few of my anti-coconut family and friends into lovers of this cake.
Original recipe makes 24 servings
2 cups white sugar
1 cup butter, softened
4 eggs, separated
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 (14 ounce) can coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9×13-inch cake pan.
- Beat sugar, butter, and egg yolks together in a bowl using an electric mixer until smooth and creamy; add shredded coconut.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Stir creamed butter mixture, alternating with coconut milk, into flour mixture until batter is just mixed.
- Beat egg whites in a glass or metal bowl until until soft peaks form. Lift your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form soft mounds rather than a sharp peak. Fold egg whites into batter. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
Calories: 241 kcal
Carbohydrates: 26.4 g
Cholesterol: 56 mg
Fat: 14.6 g
Fiber: 1.1 g
Protein: 2.8 g
Sodium: 289 mg