A variation on Forgotten Kiss Cookies this minty treat has a surprise chocolate center and is sure to be a hit at Christmas time with it’s cool green color.
Original recipe makes 30 cookies
2 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
1/4 teaspoon green food coloring
2/3 cup white sugar
30 milk chocolate candy kisses (such as Hershey’s Kisses®)
8 hrs 15 mins
- Preheat an oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a baking sheet.
- Combine egg whites, cream of tartar, salt, vanilla extract, peppermint extract, and green food coloring in a large bowl. Use an electric mixer to beat until soft peaks form.
- Beat sugar into egg whites one tablespoon at a time. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form, and mixture is glossy and very smooth, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Drop the meringue by half teaspoons onto prepared cookie sheet; top with chocolate kisses. Spoon a scant teaspoon of meringue over chocolate, and smooth to cover completely.
- Place cookies in the preheated oven; turn oven off. Leave meringues in oven overnight, or until oven has cooled completely.
Calories: 43 kcal
Carbohydrates: 7.3 g
Cholesterol: 1 mg
Fat: 1.5 g
Fiber: 0.2 g
Protein: 0.6 g
Sodium: 17 mg