More carrots, some parsley, low-fat milk and less butter make this delicious chicken pot pie a healthier dinner in-a-bowl.
Original recipe makes 1 9-inch pie
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves – cubed
1 1/2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup frozen green peas
1/2 cup sliced celery
3 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seed
1 3/4 cups chicken broth
2/3 cup low-fat (1%) milk
1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley
2 (9 inch) unbaked whole wheat pie crust
1 hr 20 mins
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Combine chicken, carrots, peas, and celery in a saucepan. Cover with water. Boil until chicken is no longer pink in the middle and vegetables are fork tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and set aside.
- Cook and stir onions in butter in a saucepan over medium heat, until soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour, salt, pepper, and celery seed. Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk. Simmer over medium-low heat until thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in parsley and remove from heat. Set aside.
- Place chicken mixture in bottom pie crust; pour hot liquid mixture over. Cover with top crust, seal edges, and cut away excess dough. Make several small slits in top to allow steam to escape.
- Bake in preheated oven until pie is golden brown and filling is bubbly, 30 to 35 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Calories: 318 kcal
Carbohydrates: 26.7 g
Cholesterol: 43 mg
Fat: 16.4 g
Fiber: 2.2 g
Protein: 15.3 g
Sodium: 668 mg